- The conventional choice of colour for bituminous materials has been either black or deep red due to the black colour of the bitumen used in the mix.
- However more recently a pigmentable ‘clear’ binder has been developed and is available through Lagan Asphalt. This allows a greater variety of colours to be produced to suit the customer’s needs. Even the conventional red can be enhanced.
- These pigmentable binders can be used in a variety of mixes including Thin Surface Courses, SMA’s and the more traditional Asphalt Concrete (Macadam).
- They can be used to create a visual awareness for traffic calming or cycle lane delineation or simply to enhance the surface to blend in or contrast with the surrounding area.
- They are laid hot in the traditional manner either by hand or through a conventional paver.